eSalon Hair Color at Home, Salon Quality Results

Everyone knows that coloring your hair can be absolutely life-changing when the results are good.   Vibrant, shiny hair color can tie your whole look together. On the other hand, a bad color job can ruin a day faster than a bulls eye pimple on your forehead. Personally, I’ve experienced many a hair color disappointment in my life, mostly in my younger years.  This isn’t terribly shocking given that most of the hair color I used originated from a box purchased at my local grocery store. Since this time, I have been relying on color from my professional stylist.  But this habit can add up fast…

I didn’t start coloring my hair super regularly until I found gray roots-BOO!  Then it was every 5 -6 weeks at the salon. The problem was-my color was not stunning.  It was nice, but it was mostly maintenance color.  Given how much I was paying for the Salon visits, I began to consider other options. I had heard about salon quality hair color at home and wanted to know more.

When making the decision to color your hair without a salon visit, the stakes can be high.  Oftentimes, box color is a one-size-fit all option that dries your hair out and leaves you less than satisfied. This is something I wanted to avoid at all costs. But when I got some not so flattering highlights, I decided to take a chance and act.  I knew that eSalon had received a 2016 Allure Best of Beauty Color Award. I knew that there were a lot of positive reviews. I knew I was ready for a change.

How it Worked

I hopped on the web, navigated to esalon.com and answered a series of questions about my hair type, length, current color, amount of gray, current treatments, and desired color. I attached a current photo of myself that showed my current hair color.  This wasn’t required but seemed like a pretty great idea.  I also had the option to video chat with a colorist, which I opted not to do this time. Based on my answers, picture, etc., a colorist selected a customized shade just for me! I finished up my order and sat back and waited for my package.

A few days later, I received my customized color kit.  It included the Hair Color, the Developer, 2 pair of gloves, an applicator brush, stain barrier for my hairline, and a sample of their Color Care Shampoo and Conditioner.  I divided my short hair, as best as I could into 4 sections per the instructions.  I donned my first pair of gloves and mixed the Developer and Hair color and applied the mixed results to my roots first and waited 10 minutes.  I then applied color to my ends and waited another 5 minutes. With the leftover color, I hopped into the shower with the second pair of gloves and washed it through from root to end per the instructions.  This was a pro stylist tip, so I made sure to follow it.

The Results

Once I rinsed all of the color out, I blew my hair dry and noticed right away that I had vibrant color and shine.  No Dryness.  Not only that, the color was spot on. No uneven color.  My gray roots were covered.  My highlights were covered.  But I also had a really great tone.  I managed not to screw the application up at all, which means it was super easy to apply! The best part of the whole deal is that eSalon was only $10.00 for my first order.  Cha-Ching! After that, the cost is $24.95 for a single shipment or $19.95 for a subscription service.

Even at the single shipment cost, I am saving $50 or more over my salon color visits.  It’s kind of hard to believe. I’m not sure I would go back to the salon for my regular coloring.  It just makes more sense to use eSalon. The quality is high, the cost is really reasonable, and the product is easy to use.  All I know is that I am soooo in.  Check out the results.

BEFORE
AFTER
(Visited 942 times, 1 visits today)

18 Comments

1. Bablofil May 17, 2017 at 11:04 pm

Thanks, great article.

1. 01jlsewell May 23, 2017 at 5:50 pm

Thanks!

2. Jenny Sewell May 23, 2017 at 8:10 am

This color still looks beautiful!!

3. Robin June 23, 2017 at 5:33 pm

Wow – I’m impressed!! How different could hair color be I said?- but you got me with the introductory offer….The only time I have seen color this good, was at a VERY high end salon! – It covered the grey beautifully, left my hair soft, shiny, almost pearlescent!
    I’ll be back, and spread the good news to my friends. Thanks esalon!

1. 01jlsewell June 25, 2017 at 5:46 pm

That is awesome news Robin!! I continue to use esalon and am not turning back!

4. Ellen January 14, 2018 at 6:02 pm

Loved first product!! Tried to reorder, didn’t get what I needed!!!

1. 01jlsewell October 16, 2019 at 4:23 am

Oh no!
      I hope you got it resolved!
      Jenny

2. 01jlsewell October 16, 2019 at 6:40 am

Oh no! I hope you’ll reach out to esalon customer service!
      Thanks,
      Jenny

5. Maria January 16, 2018 at 10:33 am

This is the best product I’ve ever tried. I usually don’t get compliments on my hair, but every since I started using your product, everyone tells me how great my hair looks. Actually, my boss thought I was having the highlights put in professionally! Now that’s a compliment!!

1. 01jlsewell October 16, 2019 at 6:39 am

That is awesome news! Thank you for sharing!
      Jenny

6. Sonia Cansino January 26, 2018 at 10:47 pm

I have a question. I just washed my hair. Can I use the dye when hair is wet or do I have blow dry it 1st…
    HELP.

1. 01jlsewell October 16, 2019 at 6:36 am

All of the instructions you need are included but generally you color dry hair. Thanks, Jenny

7. Mimi Allen February 11, 2018 at 7:37 pm

Well if I could open the color bottle, it would be great. Half hour, still trying to open it. I assume it screws off. If I had a rubber band, that would work. Frustrated.

1. 01jlsewell October 16, 2019 at 6:37 am

I would recommend you reach out to esalon customer service.
      Thanks, Jenny

8. Pam February 27, 2018 at 7:58 am

I sent 2 color packages back because I texted you that I didn’t like the way my hair looked and now I see on my bank statement pending for a hair color package I haven’t received. I don’t want it and I mostly don’t want to be charged for it. I need a cancellation number and to be renenburst.

1. 01jlsewell October 16, 2019 at 6:38 am

I am not directly affiliated with esalon. Please contact esalon customer service.
      Thanks,
      Jenny

9. Maggie Devoley March 4, 2019 at 11:24 am

I am using L’OREAL Excellence Creme8RB–Reddish Blonde for my roots. I am a natural red. My hair has faded from the Arizona sun. I just color my roots. What can you suggest?

1. 01jlsewell September 5, 2019 at 2:00 pm

Hi Maggie,
      Sorry for the delay! The great thing about esalon is that they take you through profile creation where you describe what kind of application you are looking for (roots, all-over, etc) and you add details about your hair color. I even added a photo to my profile so that my consultant would be able to find my exact color more easily. I hope this helps!
      Thanks,